Friday, June 6, 2014

Why "The Hundred Secret Senses"?

Out of a list of possible summer reading books, I decided that I wanted to read The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan.

Why?

The main reason for my decision was that I wanted to read a novel by Amy Tan. Last summer, I read an essay by her called Mother Tongue because it was part of the summer reading assignment. I was really impressed by Amy Tan's clarity in writing and her ability to show the meaning in her work. Even though I have never experienced the emotions that Amy expressed in her essay, her detailed examples and thoughts made it easy for me to understand what she felt. For me, it's really important that a book is able to make the reader feel the same emotions as the writer, and I thought that Amy Tan did this very well. I also liked how her writing in the essay was very personal. When I was reading her essay, it didn't feel like I was just reading about her experiences; it felt like she was talking to me in person.

Another factor was that I had decided that I wanted to read more books by female authors, and Amy Tan was one of the female authors on the list of books to choose from. My class read several novels by male authors this past school year, but only one novel by a female author. Additionally, the one novel by a female author that we read in class was a very depressing story about a young girl's sexual awakening. While my class had some great discussions about all of the novels, I still ending up leaving with a craving for a novel written by a female author, but absolutely not a romance novel.

When I saw that one of the books on this year's summer reading list was written by Amy Tan, the female author that I had already read and knew I would enjoy, it wasn't a hard decision to make.

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to hear what you think, Amy Tan is a fantastic writer

    ReplyDelete