Sunday, June 22, 2014

Movie Version of "The Hundred Secret Senses"

After reading The Hundred Secret Senses, it became apparent that the book would work well as a movie. First, there are some great settings in the book that would be perfect for a movie; Olivia's apartment and Kwan's home town in China are both unique places that would captivate any movie watcher. Because the novel is so visual, recreating the scenes for a movie adaptation would be simple and effective. Another reason that the novel would make a good movie is because of the importance of narration. In the book, there are numerous instances in which Kwan is telling her story of her past life. Hearing her tell it in her distinct voice would help the audience to associate the story specifically with Kwan, instead of letting it pass as a side story.

As for the cast, I'd like to address whom I would choose to portray the characters of Olivia, Simon, and Kwan.

First, I would cast Keira Knightley as Olivia. I realize that Keira Knightley, a British actress, does not meet the ethnic characteristics of Olivia, who is half (US) America and half Chinese. However, I think that Keira Knightley would be able to portray the more important characteristics of Olivia. In The Hundred Secret Senses, Olivia is intelligent, politically conscious, and in a constant search for heartfelt connections to other people. In my opinion, Keira Knightley has the acting ability to portray these important characteristics of Olivia.

I would cast Hugh Grant as Simon. For those who don't know who Hugh Grant is, I know him from playing a modern day version of Mr. Wickham (villainous character from Pride and Prejudice) in the movie Diary of Bridget Jones. Simon, Olivia's husband, has a strong dependence on sexual intercourse, boy-like determination, and a critical eye. All of these characteristics match with the character that I saw Hugh Grant, which leads me to believe that he would be well suited to act as Simon.

Finally, I would cast Jewel Staite as Kwan. I know Jewel Stait as playing the character Kaylee on the TV series Firefly. On the show, Kaylee is an intelligent, constantly happy, very energetic character. To me, the most important characteristic of Kwan is her never ending energy and the fact that she's never angry with Olivia. Since Jewel Stait has demonstrated the ability to act out a character with this kind of energy, I think she would be the best fit for Kwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment