Monday, November 10, 2014

The Tormentor

Standing in the doorway
For months you've been a presence

Sometimes leaving for weeks at a time
Other times still like a statue

Why was it so much crueler
For you to stand and watch

Then to wait to come
When Time called you here?

You chose to taunt and haunt
To create suspense and fear

Because why should you give me the gift
Of sweet blissful ignorance?

You were too clever for that.
No, you were too proud to hide yourself

Instead you let me see that you were poised
Ready to take your prize, yet holding back

With your merciless eyes and cold stare
You stalked and waited with precision

When I least expected it, least wanted it
When I was away, was distracted

That was when you decided to swoop in
To steal her away, you cowardly bastard

It would have been too kind, too merciful
For you to have stayed away until The Time

It was too tempting to flaunt your power
To come and go unpredictably

And now I am left with a hole in my heart
Once filled by the love that you ripped out

But you, because you are a shameless coward,
Won't dare to show your face again for a while

So that I will be enticed into deceptive forgetfulness
Until I rarely think about your cruelty

And when the wound is old and almost closed,
Then you will rear your ugly head

And torment me again,
Trapping me in yet another cruel game of When

**************************************************************************


For this piece, I wanted to express some very strong emotions that I was feeling. I felt like the best way to do this would be to use apostrophe, since I could address my emotions towards something. Since my feelings weren't directed towards a person, I also utilized personification so that I could better express myself. Using apostrophe allowed me to express anger and bitterness, since it makes the poem sound like a dialogue I am having with someone, instead of just writing out my feelings. I think that the personification is also important since it makes the abstraction easier to visualize and understand.

As a side note, I'd like to point out that originally, I did not include the word "bastard" because I don't believe in using profanity unless absolutely necessary. However, in this case, I felt that any other word would not carry the weight that I needed it to carry.

No comments:

Post a Comment