Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Mommy's Hair

Mommy's Hair

Mommy's hair is long and black
and soft like our new kitten
Her hair smells like vanilla cookies
(but I know you can't eat hair)

I like to watch her braid her hair
She braids it in the bathroom
She stands in front of the bathroom mirror
and I stand at the door

Mommy has magic in her hands
That's why her braids are good
I tried to make a braid like Mommy
but only mommies have magic

My hair isn't black like Mommy's
it's brown and not so long
But Mommy still braids my hair for me
So I can be pretty too

***

This post is my experiment in perspective. I noticed that for a lot of writing, you can tell how old the author is or even what their background/gender is. The type of author you hear has a big effect on the feeling you get out of the writing. For example, hearing a teenager talk about their mom is different from hearing a 6-year-old talk about their mommy. Because of this effect, I thought it would be good to try and change the perspective of my writing, so that it sounds like a younger, different author. With young kids especially, the writing can be less grandiose but also get important emotions out of the reader. Lastly, I think that the idea of having an innocent, sweet child as the author makes the reader see the topic in a different light.

No comments:

Post a Comment